Saturday, February 14, 2009

Testing for Air Toss

Test was a success!

Even though the game was almost impossible to win, the initial testing was great! I think I would need to add a diagram to the rules explaining how to make a simple paper airplane, even though I left it open for any kind. Some people don't know how to make a paper airplane and that would be confusing.

The positive feedback system I added to the game I think made it work all the better. Some players taunted others while they tried to throw. Without the crazy rules I added, such as throwing while hopping on one leg, I don't think the game would have been even close to as good as I thought it was.

A larger box might be a good idea, while I wanted the game to be hard, I did not want it to be impossible for players to win. While Kate did win the first testing, no one scored any points at all during the second phase. The front flap of the box could be cut off too, allowing a player who goes just over the top to still get a point because they "crash" into the back flap and fall into the box.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the larger box thing. I can't deny that I kinda felt like it was impossible. Everything that you said here such as how to make the plane and the larger box I pretty much agree with. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Some people don't know how to make a paper airplane"
    Lol, who could that have been? *Is an idiot*

    I think your game was interesting. It's always fun to watch people struggle to try and accomplish something when the stakes for doing so aren't that high.

    I agree the box might have been a tad too small (or perhaps the airplanes were too big), and in addition the play testing area wasn't ideal.

    Overall, though, your game was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick,

    Funny how a game that is designed to be lost is a lot of fun to play! This means the fun of the game is not so much the goal as the process (and perhaps the ridiculousness of the situation). You should remember this for your future designs!

    Devin Monnens

    ReplyDelete